Sunday, December 8, 2013

Literature Analysis #1

   Tuesdays with Morrie
1. Mitch Albom graduated from Brandeis University, his favorite professor is Morrie Schwartz. Mitch took all of Morrie's sociology classes and he promises to go back and visit Morrie, although he never goes back until he sees Morrie on Nightline and finds out Morrie is ill with ALS which will soon make him paralyzed. Mitch decides to go to Boston and visit Morrie, from then on he goes to see Morrie every Tuesday. Morrie gives Mitch lessons on what life is all about and that once you are faced with death everything is seen differently. Mitch begins to record everything they do or talk about to write a book (this book). Morrie tells Mitch to start talking to his brother so he does but his brother says he is ok and does not want to talk. On the 14th Tuesday Charlotte told Mitch that Morrie hadn't been doing too well and this was the day to say final goodbyes. Morrie died on a Saturday. After his death Mitch reached his brother and they agreed to chat later.
2. The theme of the story is to be different and take a step back to see whats around you. Morrie taught Mitch the meaning of life and how he needs to be different and be proud of what he has and be thankful. Mitch listens to all that Morrie has to say because he knows Morrie is well educated he enjoys his stories and Morrie has a different look on life since he has been faced with death.
3. The author's tone showed Mitch's true love for Morrie as a human being and his favorite professor, and how he enjoyed learning the meaning of life and Morrie's look on life. "No books were required, yet many topics were covered, including love, work, community, family, aging, forgiveness, and finally, death." "Morrie honked loudly into the tissue. "This is okay with you, isn't it? Men crying?" Sure, I said, too quickly. He grinned. "Ah, Mitch I'm gonna loosen you up. One day, I'm gonna show you it's okay to cry." "I don't know how to say good-bye. He patted my hand weakly, keeping it on his chest. "This . . . is how we say . . . good-bye . . ." He breathed softly, in and out, I could feel his rib-cage rise and fall. Then he looked right at me. "Love . . . you," he rasped. i love you, too, Coach."
4. Foreshadowing: "Morrie's doctor guessed he had two years left. Morrie knew it was less." through out the whole story we knew Morrie would eventually die. page 10
Theme: "He would not wither. He would not be ashamed of dying." page 10
Imagery: "I had not seen him in sixteen years. His hair was thinner, nearly white, and his face was gaunt." page 27
Point of view: "I may be dying, but i am surrounded by loving, caring souls." page 36
Conflict: "You know how I'm going to die?" he was faced with death page 36
Flashbacks: "Before college I did not know the study of human relations could be considered scholarly" page 39
Mood: "I asked Morrie if he felt sorry for himself. "Sometimes, in the mornings," he said. "That's when i mourn. I feel around my body, I move my fingers and my hands- whatever I can still move-and I mourn what I've lost." page 56
Climax: "Morrie died on a Saturday morning." page 187
Resolution: "I look back sometimes at the person I was before I rediscovered my old professor." page 191
Setting: "The last class of my old professor's life took place once a week in his house, by a window in the study where he could watch a small hibiscus plant shed its pink leaves" page 1
   Characterization
1. Direct Characterization: When Mitch goes to introduce his parents to Morrie on the graduation day, he says "He is a small man who takes small steps, as if a strong wind could, at any time, whisk him up into the clouds."
Direct Characterization: When Mitch is describing Morrie he says "In his graduation day robe, he looks like a cross between a biblical prophet and a Christmas elf."
Indirect Characterization: Mitch is descried as a student who took all of Morrie"s classes and after Morrie's death they say he is 20 at that time but not too much detail is given
Indirect Characterization: Janine is a professional singer but she does not sing to people when they ask but she sings to Morrie and it brings so much joy to him he begins to cry when she is done singing.
2. Yes i believe the authors syntax and diction both change when he describes Morrie, by describing him in ways that I can picture in my head due to detailed imagery and he makes Morrie seem so different and special.
3. I would say that Mitch is dynamic because he stops talking to Morrie after graduation and does not keep up to his promise, but he later gets back in touch with his old professor. He begins to adjust his schedule to go see Morrie every Tuesday and he helps with Morrie who is ill. He is a round character because the story gives us a good idea of who he is, how he thinks and he changes through out the story.
4. Yes I feel like I met Morrie in real life because he is described in such a detailed way that I know how he feels, what he looks like, and what he does for a living. He has a different look on life that he is now facing death.

No comments:

Post a Comment